To ensure peaceful and long-term democratic political representation of the people of Sierra Leone through independent registration and balanced monitoring of political parties
The PPRC exists to engender, among political parties in Sierra Leone, a spirit of accountable political pluralism as well as strong democratic principles in the political parties. The PPRC will provide a forum for conflict resolution and thus foster political reconciliation and national cohesion.
Guide to Registering a Political Party
The constitutional provision for the establishment of the PPRC is enshrined in Sections 34 and 35 of the 1991 Constitution of Sierra Leone as amended.
The PPRC has performed well in the discharge of its mandate through the promotion of democracy and building of a culture of peace within and among political parties. In addition to facilitating peaceful and successful elections, the Commission through the UN also provided support to political parties, empowered women and youths and worked closely with the media to reduce political tensions in the country.
Over the past years, the Commission is been able to do the following:
- Strengthened its Staff capacity, by the recruitment of new staff.
- Build the capacity of its staff through training.
- Considerably improve on the welfare of its Commissioners and staff, by way of salary increments.
- Review and revised the Constitutions and Rules and Regulations of the Ruling Sierra Leone Peoples Party, the main Opposition All Peoples Congress Party and the National Grand Coalition Party.
- Supervised and guided the conduct of Intra Party elections, for the Constitutions of their Organs and Structures.
- Repealed and Replaced its Act, the Political Parties Act No.3 of 2002, with the Political Parties Act No 25 of 2022.
- Acquired two new office space in Freetown and Port Loko.
- Win the Confidence trust and cooperation of Political Parties and development Partners.
- Improved its logistics base, in terms of mobility, information technology and visibility.
- Established networks with its sister EMBs: ECSL, ONS, SLP and other lined Departments and Agencies.
- Gained membership of the Association of World Electoral Management Bodies (AWEB).
UN support to the political parties through PPRC
Woman & youth
The UNDP Sierra Leone supports efforts to enhance the capacity of national institutions such as the Political Parties Registration Commission (PRRC) to deliver peaceful, credible and inclusive elections in Sierra Leone.
The support is administered thanks to a multi-donor Election Basket Fund financed by the Government of Ireland, the European Union, the Government of Canada, the Government of Iceland, the United Nations Development Programme and the United Nations Peacebuilding Fund.